Wednesday 10 December 2008

Super Early Christmas Party

During the last Raya Haji long weekend, my hubby's eldest sis suggested to hold an early (very-very early *wink*) Christmas party because most of the family members will be away travelling / holidaying during the long Christmas break.

She told us it'll be potluck!

My greatest NIGHTMARE! HORRORS of HORRORS! My cooking can never meet the mark of my collective in-laws! They're Super Cooks.... & I'm d lousy 1... & my hubby had to put up with it :-p

OMG! OMG! What to cook! What to cook!
Pumpkin cream soup - I've done tht
Steaks - they don't take beef
Ox-tail soup - again no beef
Lamb / Mutton - they don't like the smell
Carbonara Pasta - that's not party food!
Lemon Chilled Cheese Cake - someone's buying cake oledi

Finally I decided to make maki sushi (no... I'm not scolding - aka maki, the sushi... It's a type of sushi... you put Japanese vinegered rice on a sheet of seaweed, some savouries in the middle, roll them up & slice them to get finger-food sized sushi). Though I've done it before... but what the heck... Sure is easier than trying to bring a pot full of soup! Besides, they already have curry in the menu. If I bring along pumpkin soup, they'll be filled with water!

Surprisingly the sushi was almost demolished (with 1.5 rolls left out of 11 rolls made)... phew... less embarrassing vs having 10 rolls left behind (1 roll for the failed taste buds trial)!

We also had homemade crispy pork courtesy of my hubby's eldest brother 1st trial... If not for the over seasoning of salt, the pork skin was really crispy & nice! (sorry Gangsta Mama - sensor... sensor...)

After dinner, I got my hubby to adorn the Santa's hat & distribute gifts to the children... Oh they were ecstatic (except the youngest mite who's terribly afraid of my hubby's size & his love for hugging & kissing them on the cheek - stubble & all!). That's when the party had to take a down turn when someone just had to say "eh... u better get a kid of your own soon or else you'll continue to lose out... all output no input"

Grrrrr...... Firstly - Show off!!! I know lar he/she got a baby of their own already! Do they need to rub salt in my / our wound ALL the time at every occasion that I tend to dread family gatherings! Pls be sensitive & remember the time when they still had not had 1 yet after many years of marriage. The tears they shed every time the spot of blood comes to visit every month. We're going through that stage now OK! So insensitive!

Secondly - Christmas is a season of GIVING... I'm not expecting anything in return... As long as the kids are happy, my heart soars with them. The delight on their little cute faces is more than enough to "compensate".

Fortunately, I didn't need to bear that for long though cos' soon after someone suggested watching a movie on DVD (Transporter 3), so we all adjourned in the mini "theatre" & that concludes the party.

Overall it was fun & fortunately less stressful than most of the other occasions (at least the "baby" subject did not turn up as often as usual)...

No comments: