Thursday 13 March 2008

"Virgin" Voter

In the last Malaysian 12th General Election, it was my first time exercising my voting rights. I'm eligible to vote in the last election in 2004, but I felt that I was not exposed / well informed enough to vote wisely; so I decided to give up my rights then, rather than vote for the "wrong team".

So, I'm no longer a "Virgin Voter".... :-p

Jokes aside, I really hope that the latest change in leadership for some states can bring about the long-awaited "check-&-balance" that the then opposition has been harping about. I hope that freedom of speech is improved; because I belief the more we suppress, the greater the resentment. I belief that the people at wise enough to decipher the truth from the false / the facts from the lies without needing inappropriate intervention.

I know there are many other "BIG", "GREAT" & Noble ideas / projects in plan / at the top of everyone's list such as :
1. Improvement of M'sia's economic condition
2. Lower / maintaining M'sia's high cost of living - especially fuel / toll rates
3. Equal education opportunities - more Chinese / Tamil Type Schools
4. Improve the safety & security of the general public on the streets from crimes of snatch thiefs / plain daylight robbery
5. Improve the general public transport system (no waiting for 1 hour for a delayed Komuter!)
etc.... etc.... etc....

Most of the agenda listed on the newspapers & websites are so great that I find my request to be quite trivial. But since this is my blog, I have the rights to air them anyway.... :-)

I'll start with an analogy.
I was very blessed & fortunate to be brought up in a house with 5 rooms - 1 for my parent, 1 for my grandparent, 1 for my 2 brothers, 1 for myself (the advantage of being the only daughter) & the last spare room is what we call the Study Room. The study room is almost the heart of our house because I remembered it is where my brothers & I do my homework (with no TV sounds to distract us). It is also where the family adjourn to in the evening to read before we go to sleep. It is a room with bookshelves installed to the ceiling & we have rows & rows of books that's being replenished so fast that we ran out of space to store. As a family unit, I feel that we have a very healthy environment to learn & grow.

I was then brought to a "mansion" to my standard because it has 3 floors & a roof-top balcony. The ground floor is a very spacious living room with flat screen TV, Hi-Fi & foot massager; with a dining room, dry & wet kitchen and a maid's room. The second floor is a master bedroom, 2 rooms for the children & a small office space for the dad at the landing of the 2nd floor. The third floor is where the "party" begins; starting from the smallest room converted into a gym room, a jacuzzi room complete with TV & cascading water features, a multimedia room that is equiped with surround-sound system & walls padded as in the cinema with multiple recliners, an "indoor balcony" with a curved glass panel over-looking KLCC & a bar for the landing of the third floor. Amidst such opulence, I'm surprised & sad that there's 1 room missing.... a study room / reading room / library. It's amazing that a house that has a jacuzzi & a home theatre doesn't have a study room safe for the little office that is at the landing & not even a proper room!

It may be a matter of perception, but I feel that Malaysia as a country is exactly like the mansion I was talking about. It has the KL Twin Towers, the KL Tower, Times Square, Mid-Valley Megamall cum the Gardens, it has the KL Convention Centre, KL Sentral (that may I add is not exactly the Central Public Transportation hub) & great sky scrappers... yet we lack good libraries. We may boast we have the National library, but that's it?!? For 20+million people? I have also been to the library in Port Dickson & some of the other town areas; though they are housed in huge & beautiful architecture (& some in a single storey badly maintained building); but the books collection is appaling. I'm sure any average book-loving citizen would have better books collection than these libraries! The facilities also does not encourage people to stay there for long.

In comparison to our neighbouring countries like Singapore & Japan (the only 2 countries I had the opportunity to visit their library); they are heaven in comparison. There are activity rooms, story telling, colourful charts & pictures on the walls, comfortable sofas / clean carpet areas for the children. There are sections for adults with public talks, book launches & new book recommendations. The chairs are comfortable cushioned chairs with tables of the right height to the chairs, rather than stiff plastic chairs with tables that are too high / too low / rotting with termites. The librarians are friendly, helpful & well versed with the layout & items in the library. You can also place a "wish list" if you found a good book / literature that should be added to the library collection. Outside of the library is a cafe & a park to relax for students wanting to relax after studying. There are also "play" areas with life size chess boards / checkers. Most importantly, all these wonderful facilities are for free!

So how can we claim to want to develop "Human Capital" & promote K-Economy, when we're not preparing a condusive environment to develop & inculcate the culture of reading. Instead we have more shopping malls than we care to count with fantastic free feeder busses to link from 1 mall to the other! Instead we have sky scrappers that are filled with luxurious suites / hotels for rent to expats & tourists! Instead we have the Twin Tower to show the world we have the tallest / the Eye on Malaysia to show that Malaysia Boleh.

In the end, we are like the 3-storey mansion. I nice "show-off" equiped with all the luxuries in life but "empty" in substance.

Trivial as my wish may be, I truly hope that we can improve our Human Capital....

Long Live Malaysia!!

From - The Virgin Voter

1 comment:

michelleho said...

Hehehe...
Me still a 'virgin' ler...
Let's see how the ruling whoever do their job, till the next election. Then I'll go 'deflower'... If not, it will be like a ping pong ball...