Monday 31 March 2008

Old Souls Day - Cheng Beng

Last Sunday it's my 3rd year attending the Cheng Beng festival as a part of the Tang family. Again it was a little strange for me because it's 1 thing to pray to your own ancestors... At least you know who you're praying to (i.e. grandparent & great grandparent); but praying at my husband's grandparent grave was different. I've not met them, so I can't really conjure out any sweet memories / remembering any of their presence.

It is an interesting festival though. It not only encourage people to remember the dead & their contribution to the present generation. It also promotes family unity. It is one of those festivals where everyone will converge & meet up at the grave of their ancestors.

I also observed my sister-in-law as she explains to her 5 year old daughter the significance of the prayers & how by having this event, we will remember our forefathers & be thankful for their struggle / effort. For without them, there can never be us. Such a message also promotes fillial piety.

I can't help feeling guilty that we're really damaging the environment though. So much open burning coming from the incence, the candles & paper made in gold ingots / any conceivable object you can think of. Then towards the evening on the news, they shared the new generation of prayers which is done virtually. How? Well, there's a digital tomb stone with digital pix of the deceased. Then you digitally light up the jossticks & candles and burn as much paper "hell currencies" / paper objects as you like. You can also select the flowers / items of your choice to arrange in front of the grave (e.g. chicken / duck / roast pork etc). Interesting huh... It solved the environment polution part, but can't help feeling that it lost the personal touch.

Lastly, as any festival goes, it's getting really commercialized. Imagine cashing in on the dead! I'm shocked that they have paper lingerie (with lacy motives too!), paper massage chair, paper DVDs, paper cellphone, paper foot water-spa-&-massager etc. What next? Paper private jet / paper jacuzzi?!? Go figure... :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always do Cheng Beng every year with my mum and sister's family. We go to the beach and scatter flower petals. My dad's ashes have been scattered at the sea.