Friday 21 October 2011

A Mother's Dilema: Am I Spoiling Him?

As much as I said I don't want to spoil my boy; sometimes it's quite hard keeping that resolve! It's indeed much easier said than done. Especially when he's your 1st and not to mention he came after many years of trying.

Last weekend, we went out to use up some cash vouchers we received as a present & what did we use it for? A "Bu Dao Ong" i.e. Self-righting-toy aka humpty-dumpty. Although it's only RM9.99, but still... is that spoiling him?

He loved it though... He laughed with glee when we hit it & the walrus-shaped bu dao ong bounced back tusk & all (no kidding, the bu dao ong is in the shape of a walrus with tusks!). It saved dede (daddy in Canto) a lot of effort when taking care of Kun Sam while mummy is on the computer working.

This week? Well, we're going for 2 coming trips as a family - Cameron & Pangkor. The hotel we're staying in Cameron has a pool as well, so I justified that it'll be great to bring Kun Sam swimming. Hence, we'll need a float! So off we went to buy a float. You can't imagine all the shapes, sizes, colours, cartoon characters etc that they have on floats now a days. We got the one that the middle of the tube had a seat so that he can sit in it rather than relying on his hands to cling to the float. I wanted the cute yellow duck that looked like the rubber ducky we float in bath tubs, but hubby said - "My son is not sitting on any Duck. He's no Duck!" (Cantonese nickname for a Gigolo is - you guessed it! - Duck). So we finally settled on a giraffe at RM14.

So.... am I spoiling him? He's only 9-months and look what I've already got for him! If I didn't control myself, I was sorely tempted to get him that push car in the shape of a tiger too (fortunately it costed RM140, so it was thankfully a huge turn-off)!

Now, the pertinent question - Am I Spoiling Him?

No comments: