Friday 27 February 2009

Down Memory Lane.....Old Penang... My Hometown!!

Admittedly the pix here are way older than me & I'm surprised by them too - how different Penang looked 40-50yrs ago - like old Shang Hai! So, I can't possibly claim that it brings me down MY memory lane. I'm sure though, this brings back fond memories to my mum & dad (albeit they may be only in their teens & probably still in Sungai Petani / Alor Star & not seen Penang yet at tht time); and many other Penangites who've stayed there through that period.

Vernicular Railway - Penang Hill 60's

Penang Hill - vernicular top station

Vernicular Reaching the Summit Station

Odeon Theatre! - This must be Penang Road
Ferry - The exact same version being used today!

Penang Hill Police Station

Lover's Isle, Batu Feringghi - I didn't know that!?!?
On board the Famous Penang Ferry
(definitely the 60's. The people here all looked like they stepped out of a LAT comic strip!) ;-P

Esplanade Clock tower

E&O Hotel - Farquhar St. 1966
(Happy that they re-opened last year / 2, to re-live the glory days of old Penang)

Trishaw! Trishaw! Keep them Alive in Penang!!

Double Decker Bus on Penang Road
(notice it's powered by electric cable? see Penangites are environmentally conscious even then!)

Cathay Penang Road in the 1960's

Masjid Kapitan Kling, Pitt Street

Boston Bar!!! I remembered having really nice ice-cream sundae there!

Botanic Garden
(The place where we had many happy family picnics there - until the monkeys start to join in...)

Sigh..... Nostalgic

No comments: