Wednesday 29 July 2009

Choose your boss not your job

As much as possible I try not to resort to plagiarism, but this article written by a coleague (I don't know him, but it's posted on the internal web blog) that is too good not to be shared. I won't copy the whole article but I'll just pick a few key phrases / points on this topic :

A good boss will usually rescue a bad job. Think about it - is it in the interests of the boss to leave you, multitalented you, languishing in something that is not fulfilling or value adding? No. In most cases, you can do a deal to fix it.

And a bad boss will usually destroy a good job. Who gives you a mandate? Who do you stress about all the time? Who writes your staff report? Who fixes you up with later moves? Yes...choose badly and you are in big trouble, my friend.

If I think through my career, probably the single biggest determinant of whether I was happy, productive, developing or duly rewarded was the boss at the time.

Oh tht is so... so.... true! I can't agree more! A lousy boss can be a nightmare to work with (or for...) even if the job is easy-peasy, the stress generated from & by these lousy bosses is enough to make you go bonkers..... I had an occasion when I was seriously contemplating resigning, not because I can't handle the work load, but more because I can't handle the boss.

There was another occasion where the workload was just inhuman! Working fr 7.30am - 12midnight / even 2-3am! Skipping meals & stress eating etc... Yet, because I had a really nice boss, it made the work still bearable.

What do you think?

No comments: