Tuesday 14 April 2009

Accident Magnet

In the last 3-4 weeks, I don't know what is wrong with me. It's like I'm an accident magnet or something.

The first accident was about 3 weeks ago cos' someone in front of me suddenly brake after moving a few inches, but at tht time my feet was already on the accelarator, cos' the jam was just starting to move. Before I can move my legs off the accelerator to the brakes, my car is already within a few inches from the car in front. Too late - bang into a Kenari. The young girl I ram into was rather shocked too cos' she just jammed on her brakes a few seconds before I ram into her car. It wasn't a very bad accident, but bad enough to require claim from insurance.

Fortunately the car I was driving (my hubby's Corolla), had it's NCB transfered to the "new" car he's driving (& it was just abt a mth before the accident!) - so we don't lose the insurance accident-free reward. So my car was in the workshop the past 2-3 weeks or so.

Then this morning (the 2nd day since driving my car after collecting it fr the workshop), again I got in an accident involving my front bumper - again! This time it was because someone reversed into my car as we're waiting to drive out from an inter-section. She's a new driver, so she got excited when a car on the main road comes too near to her. So she reversed without looking back & bang into me. I was too surprised to remember to honk... My brain in the morning a bit slow I guess... Cos' I clearly remember thinking - should I reverse? (but if I do so I'll bang against the fella right behind me) or should I honk? Too late - Bang!.... sigh....

To make matters worse, my brother-in-law (whom I must add, helped me repair my car & arrange for insurance claim etc-etc cos' he's experienced wif this cos' he's a 2nd hand car dealer) rush out to see & I'm so embarrased. Why? Cos' he had that look like "Not Again?!?! You dunno how to drive wan ar...." But his only comment was "Next time don't follow so close... Sometimes at slope area, ppl alwiz slip down" Errr.... but this girl reversed the whole half car distance btw me & her.... Didn't say it out lar, but it was on my mind... Sigh.....

Feel like I'm really an accident magnet. So...... Just to be extremely cautious to the point of being ridiculous, I distance myself with the car in front by a bus length! Then again, when I did tht bus-length-distance this morning, I either get honks (despite being in the slow lane) or someone overtakes me & effectively reduced the gap I tried to maintain & it became half-car-length-distance again....

I used to love driving... I'm also quite "efficient" in a manual car! But after this 2 accidents I'm beginning to lose confidence.... :-(

1 comment:

Fern said...

Would like to add - if only "accidents" happens whenever we try to get a baby.... :-)