Wednesday 1 April 2009

Sushi Galore for Dearest Niece

As mentioned in my last post, I was asked to make sushi for my niece's 21st birthday party. At first I thought - "No biggy... I did it before. I can do it again now... After all, they're only family..."

Oh boy... Oh boy was I wrong! Just a few days before the dinner, I found out that the party was for about 50-60pax! Errr.... That would be like catering! I've never prepared for such a large crowd before. I'm worried... My sushi is amateur-ish... It's all trial & error... How would the friends / guests take it? Preparing for the family is 1 thing, but it'll be embarassing when it's being served to guests who are practically strangers... No... err wait a minute... hmm.... strangers is fine... The "stranger" the better... :-p

Anyways, so hubby & I went on a major shopping spree to buy the sushi stuff. We had:
1. unagi
2. salmon slices
3. some raw fish that we don't know wht type of fish it is...
4. crabsticks
5. chicken sausages
6. japanese cucumbers
7. mayonaise
8. lot's of seaweed...

The party was supposed to start around 7.30pm-8pm, but I only managed to get all the stuff to my sis-in-law's hse at 5+pm! Fortunately I managed to complete everything on time. Churned out only about 6 plates of sushi's & it was among the first fe dishes to get wiped out first! Phew! Am so happy it was such a hit... Make me feel less of a failure in the kitchen... :-)

No comments: