Thursday 2 April 2009

Book Review: The Nanny's Diaries

I can't remember the name of the author. It's a book Storm lent me.

Anyways, I was just discussing the book with Storm the other day & we both agree that it was a chore to plough through the whole book & complete it. Before I go on, maybe I need to give a synopsis on the book first.

The main character is a girl called Nanny / Nan for short... Yea I know... I thought that Nanny was the occupation, not the name. Anyways, she's a NYU student who pays her rent by.... ??.... You guessed it! - being a nanny. She became a Nanny in the 'X' household (serious... No kidding... It's as per the book! The surname is X).

Mrs X is the second wife of Mr X after both of them were caught by ex-Mrs X (confused yet?). Anyway, she's the trophy wife material :
1. goes shopping at all the branded boutiques
2. making trivial things like 'ensuring-there's-lavender-pillow-mist-L'Occitane-brand-only-for-her-husband's-corp-dinner-door-gift' the center of her universe
3. have the "society-required" inteligent son who at 4, is expected to plan on the College he needs to enter into &
4. "ladles" the son away with a wooden spoon / spatula / whatever within grabbing distance whenever her son wants to hug her for fear of getting her skirt crumpled!

Mr X is having an affair with Ms. Chicago (a nickname coined by Nan) his colleague at work. Ms Chicago is hell's bent to get caught - e.g. leaving a lacy panty at Mr X's home; so tht she can be the 3rd Mrs. X **shakes head** What's most amazing, Mrs. X who hates having children, went & get herself preggie just to hold on to Mr X. Towards the end, he even got involved in another affair involving a recent divorsee who was left penniless by her ex-husband cos' of a pre-nup signed. Sigh....

Anyway, she was treated like sh*t by Mrs X but the son - Grayer was adorable. So despite her frustrations (e.g. expected to miss her graduation cos' she needs to baby sit Grayer at their holiday villa in Nantucket), she stayed on for the sake of Grayer.

Now... the twist & turn of the story may sound interesting BUT... the constant whining & groaning & complaining fr Nan can sometimes get in your nerves. It's just like "The Devil Wears Prada" (sorry to the fans out there - including Storm... I hated tht book too). If you hate the job so much & you're treated like sub-human / slave, just Resign! Jeezz.... Why hold on to it like your whole life depended on it when you could have easily found another.

Then again, if the money is good, maybe it takes lots of courage to resign... Like me, I didn't have the courage to resign earlier... Fortunately though, times are much better now... Well... Maybe it's the same grating-on-your-nerves feeling my blog readers get when reading about my "baby-less" woes... (p/s Hubby & I agreed to go for IVR if all fails. Finally!! Hope it works)... So shouldn't complain abt the writer's writing too much then... :-)

I've just finished a teen-chic-flick "Size 12 is Not Fat" by Meg Cabot - might review that next. I'm currently reading "If You Could See Me Now" by Cecelia Ahern. Will do a short write-up on tht too when I finish. So far's it's been riveting.

2 comments:

michelleho said...

I did not read the book. Watched the movie instead. Nice and interesting - hehehe...
You mean you resigned from Shell ledi? Where you at now? No wonder so much time for craft work!

Fern said...

No lar dear... Am still with Shell, but move to another position. The first 5-yrs of work here, they move us every 1.5-2yrs. After tht, they'll move us every 4 yrs. To gain more experience & keep the learning curve active so tht ppl don't get bored of the work they're doing. I initially wonder how ppl last for 20+yrs... Now I know... 6+yrs is nothing...