Sunday 6 April 2008

1st World Facilities?

We have heard a lot about our KL Sentral & the facilities within. The rail services, the feeder busses & taxis, the linkages to KLIA etc. Despite the "success stories", I think there are still many areas for improvements.

1st of which, our KL Sentral are not exactly "Central". Reason? Not all rail lines crossess at Central. STAR for 1 & the monorail is strangely abruptly stops at Brickfields; which is probably juat another station away from KL Sentral itself.

So, for example, I'm staying in Bandar Tasik Selatan; naturally I firstly need to get myself to Tasik Selatan station. That would be by bus / taxi / personal vehicle. I have the choice of taking the KTM Komuter that goes straight to KL Sentral / the STAR LRT that totally avoids KL Sentral. I'll get back to the KTM Komuter later; but assuming I take the STAR LRT because the frequency of train arrival is higher, I'll need to stop at Hang Tuah station, walk a distance & take the monorail to Brickfields. From there, I'll need to cross the busy Brickfields main road, across a field to KL Sentral (which is highly inconvenient if it rains).

Some esteemed politicians will then say, well take the Komuter then. Well, if these people ever get out of their luxurious cars once in a while & for-go their special out-riders that clear the busy road for them they will find that the services for Komuter is so poor that a person can really get fired for constantly getting to work late (if their office doesn't practice flexi hours). I had numerous occassion experience not only delays, but sometimes 2 scheduled trains are "missing" altogether. When that happens, 2-3 train loads of people will be waiting at the platform. When the train finally comes, there will be 2-3 train load of ppl crammed into 1 train (not to mention the 2-3 train load of ppl being extremely late for work)!

I have experienced this 1st World Facilities but 3rd World Services on numerous occassion. The last straw was last Thursday when the weather was really bad & I can't get a taxi home. I had to take a taxi to KL Sentral, then take the komuter to Bdr Tasik Selatan. Again it was delayed & all I get were continuous apologies over the PA system. Then when the train finally came but the crowd built up to such a considerable size, you get crap announcements like, kindly do not jam up this train, pls be patient, the next train will be arriving in 10mins; everyone are advised to take the next train if you can't fit in. I was too tired to push & shove, so I waited... and waited... and waited... Finally, by the time I got back home, it was 2 hours from the time I left office!! I could have reached PD in 2 hours!

I seriously hope something is being done to improve our transport system. We're no longer a 3rd World Country. If we're to have 1st World Facilities, we need to upgrade our services to that of the 1st World as well. Otherwise, we can boast all we want, the facilities are useless to the people.

No comments: