Sunday 6 April 2008

Super-Children!

I remembered a newspaper report recently of a 3-4 primary school children who attempted to commit suicide by popping hypertension pills because a teacher scolded / punished them due to their poor results in 1 of the subjects. Fortunately they were found early & though they are in serious condition, they managed to be saved.

Then there was another case of a 12 year-old girl who got scolding all the way from school back to her apartment for scoring poorly. Feeling depressed, she took the lift up to the 13th floor (she lives on the 8th floor), set aside her school bag & jumped down the building. It goes without saying, she did not survive the fall.

I look at children now a days & compare them to my childhood, I find myself feeling thankful that I at least HAVE a childhood. These children are a highly stressed lot. Imagine having exams even in Kindy! Tuition before entering primary school. Tight schedules of tuition, ballet, music, taekwondo etc... etc... that they didn't even have time to play; & when they do, they were reprimanded for being "naughty" / "lazy". They are expected to form sentences, fill in the blanks & read books at the age of 4-5! Age 3 if possible!

The common reason for such stresses on children?
1. Everyone is doing it. If I don't send them to all these classes, my child will be left behind, then he'll develop inferiority complex!
2. The world nowadays is different from before. Previously, a degree will do. Now a degree is so common that you'll need at least a doctorate in future to secure a job / have a brighter future
3. They like 'xxx' (i.e. ballet / piano / violin / karate / painting etc), so I'm just "nurturing" their interest & talent!

Who are we kidding! That poor kids are having bags heavier than lugging a PC over their shoulders! Their schedule are packed with "goodness" that even the PM's schedule would look like child's play! Their spectacles gets thicker than their puny finger each year they progress. The expectation keeps getting higher that scoring 90 but at position 20 out of 30 in the class is not acceptable...

I know... I know.... Most parents will tell me, you're not a parent yet, you'll not understand. You'll want the best for your child. Hmmm..... So is this what we call as "The Best"? The Best for who? The child / the ego of the parent?

I can't guarantee that I'll not fall into the same "Kiasu" race of driving my kids up the wall in my effort to make them "Super-children"; but I certainly hope that when I have a child of my own 1 day, I'll remember to read this article of mine & I'll be reminded that at the end of the day, my child is still a child. Give him / her time to enjoy her adolescence. I have mine, why can't they have theirs? Give them space to develop as a well rounded person... and may I constantly be reminded that they'll not turn into a LOSER just because I fail to send them to multiple extra-curricular classes after attending Kindy!

No comments: