Wednesday 10 June 2009

Book Review: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I was browsing an e-book site, searching for some interesting short reads while waiting for hubby to fetch me (yup. He'll be in KL for a meeting). Probably I picked the wrong site, but the selection of books are either non-fictions / classics rather than new writers (i.e. writers tht are still alive at this point).

Then I found this e-book. I was surprised to find tht it's only 18pages! Considering it's turned into a movie, I thought it'll be much thicker. Anyway, am not complaining cos' tht's about the right number of pages. Too long & I'll have to postpone the reading to tomorrow.

The idea of a person being born old & die a baby is interesting. However there are some parts where I wished the author could have elaborated more to give the story some logic (I mean as logical as a child born old can be).
1. How in the world did the mother delivered this child - Caesarean? How can he be almost adult size when the mother's tummy should be about normal size (otherwise they'd have put her in the hospital pronto!)
2. No mention at all about the mother. She died?
3. The relationship with his wife & the changes of heart as he gets younger could have been elaborated more

Irregardless, it's amazing tht the author can tell such a story in such a concise manner & still made it interesting without much elaboration. Probably the idea of being born old & die young is an interesting idea to start with...

No comments: