Monday 8 June 2009

Hong Kong Biz Trip - Day 1 (Part II)

I checked in to Excelsior Hotel in Causeway Bay. It's the nearest hotel within walking distance to office, but the rates is pricey - HKD1,000 (i.e. abt RM500) per night's stay with no breakfast included! The service is superb though. I lost count of the number of times the reception says "Thank you" & "Miss Boey". She said it so often tht I grew dizzy fr it after some time. Good directions & complimentary maps to help me on my walk to office. Well with the price they're charging, they better at least have free maps! :-)

On the way to Shell Tower in Times Square HK, I "bumped" into Gigi Leong doing some event on stage with some fans. Wished I could stay but I was already late as it is. So I just caught a glimpse of her very tall & fair self, then rush off...

I also noticed tht although not everyone is using face masks (probably only those having flu / cough - which is very thoughtful of them), hygiene is certainly top in the agenda. Examples of the extent of their precaution:
1) Lift buttons are "sanitized" every hour & some lifts are manned by someone to press the buttons for you (this person wears gloves)
2) Around the lift area, you'll find an automated alchohol based non-rinsing soap / sanitizer to clean your hands

Anyway, by the time I was finally united with my host, thank God they confirm they had the charger tht I need. As for my lack of hp.... Well, maybe it's for the best.... No distractions during discussions (but sure miss talking to hubby in d evenings though).

In the evening, I wandered the area around my hotel for place to eat. As I only brought limited cash (HKD500 - reserved for taxi rides to airport etc), my options are limited to restaurants tht accepts credit card. So as much as I'd like to try the local cuisine tht costs HKD30 or less per bowl, I was scouting for the bigger restaurants. I found some neon signboards advertising Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai & Indonesian food & they are all on the 11th-20th floor!... Trouble is, I can't seem to find the entrance to this place. Found escalators... but I can't be going 20 floors by escalator! The lifts seem to be hidden.... somewhere....

So guess what.... Instead of a nice traditional Hong Kong style chinese food, I found myself in a Japanese restaurant called "Sen-Ryo". I consoled myself tht I know for a fact, Hong Kong has many good Japanese restaurants.... Maybe I got lucky & found 1 of those? Tough luck.... It was towards the end of the meal tht I found out it was operated by Genki Sushi.... sigh..... I can get this back home!!! Wel... there's always Day-2....

No comments: