Monday 8 June 2009

Hong Kong Biz Trip - Last Day

Again I had breakfast in bed (can't help it. I love being pampered.... :-p) before heading off to the short walk to Times Square again. We target to stop work at 11.30am so tht I'll have enough time for lunch & catch the plane back to KL. My colleague was kind enough to send me all the way to the airport by car because he stays near Tsing Yi (which is on the way to the airport). So he'd work from our Tsing Yi plant after dropping me off at the airport.

We finished around 12noon & was worried we'll be late & thought of skipping lunch (since b/fast was really good). But my HK colleagues are confident there's more than enough time, so we finally had the infamous HK Dim Sum for lunch somewhere within Times Square as well. It was really good, but I think Malaysian's Dim Sum (the high end restaurants tht is... not the cikai RM3/plate variety) are equally good (in taste & price!).

Off we rushed to the airport (no last minute shopping for me). It would have been an uneventful check-in & flight back if not for a "leak" tht was detected from the aircraft I was on board. Fortunately they found it when the plane was still on the ground & the plane was not cleared for take-off until the cause of the leak is found & repaired. The pilot was communicating to us over the PA system throughout the whole 1.5hrs delay - updating us on the status of the repair, while apologising profusely each time he's on air to update. Chronology of update :
1. Technicians found source of leak
2. Engineers inspected the leak & identified repairs / spare-parts to be obtained
3. Awaiting the engineers to secure the spare part required
4. The efficient ground crew & engineers of HK airport has finally managed to repair the leak. The flight is now fit for take-off (hurrah! ;-))

Throughout the whole announcements, I keep whispering inside - take your time.... no need to apologise. Just get me back in 1 piece & alive, I'm happy. Who cares if I'm delayed for 5hrs, rather than not arrive at all!

A lady sitting in the other side of the aisle was a bit worried though. She & her family were suppose to board a plane (Air Asia) fr LCCT to Kota Bharu. With the delay, she may very well miss her flight. So throughout the 1.5hrs wait, she was asking the steward on what can be done for her tickets (which understandably she was a bit agitated cos' she'll burn 4 Air Asia tickets because of this delay). As much as he tried to help, the fact tht it was Air Asia, the steward was not able to help her much (or at least tht was as much as I managed to pick - not tht I was eaves-dropping, but the conversation was occuring right beside me!). I was praying tht she'll not make a fuss because I don't want to put too much undue pressure on the steward, which will then transfer it to the pilot, which then transfer tht pressure to the engineers, who'll then do a shoddy job just to shut everyone up (I certainly hope not even if this does happen!)!

Sigh.... This happens too close to the Air France incident to bring comfort in air travels. However the fact tht I can relay this story on this blog, shows tht I got home safely.... :-)

Thanks to the engineers & all the working crew of the airline who helps ensure tht every aviation trip is a safe one. Am also glad tht I managed to always remember to tell my hubby I love him every chance possible... so even if (touch wood) anything happened, there won't be any regrets tht I didn't say this / express tht etc... etc...

Around 7.15pm, 4th Jun'09... Home Sweet Home....

2 comments:

michelleho said...

Welkam home gurl! Haha!
So when wanna yumchar? Long time no see you ler...

Fern said...

Saturdays u free or not... Hubby & I will normally be at MidValley / Gardens. We can meet up there... Would be fun!